Black mold is extremely poisonous in nature, and although you might disregard their toxicity by brushing them off as common and seemingly harmless looking, they can cause serious health problems for you and your family members. In case you or any of the members of your home are suffering from some chronic disorder with no other probable cause, it could be this type of fungus at work. An allergy or a persistent health issue is generally the first sign of this kind of problem and you should consider removal of this fungus. It takes only a little time to carry out the necessary testing and inspection of your house to check whether mold is present and needs proper removal.
Common Spots for Mold Growth
Bathrooms and basements are the most common spots where black mold is found to thrive. This type of fungus can arise on any kind of surface, tiles, cement or even countertop. These areas of the home are damp and have high moisture content. Naturally, you should take special care to keep these surfaces dry and clean. If your home surroundings are damp and you live in a place with humid weather conditions, it is extremely likely that there is mold in your house. It is important for you to test your home for the presence of this fungus, and opt for removal in the event that mold is indeed found.
Testing for Mold by Yourself
Testing for mold can be done in two ways, you may call a professional mold inspector with the authorization to do the testing and issue a certificate. Or you may try to do the testing on your own, which can a more cost saving option for you. Doing the testing by yourself is not difficult considering the fact that there are testing kits for this type of fungus that you may use without any professional expertise. While testing, you should keep yourself protected from direct exposure to the fungus by wearing rubber gloves and a facemask. This will help you avoid breathing in of black mold spores directly and preventing skin contact with them. In this way, you can safeguard your health while carrying out the testing.
Removal of Mold
Once you have spotted the mold after proper inspection and have determined the areas of their growth, you need to carry out a removal. First of all, you need to make sure that the region is ventilated well. You can then look for suitable mold removal products in the market. Make sure that you go through the label instructions properly and follow all the safety procedures mentioned therein. If you find mold concentration in a small area, water and bleaching agent will be enough for removal. However, for more extensive concentration, you need a commercial black mold removal agent. Before using it, you have to dry out the contaminated area fully as excess moisture can always cause recurrence of black mold. In some cases, you have to clean the region a number of times to destroy all the spores.